Bahamas Sandals deaths: what to know about carbon monoxide poisoning, a silent killer
NEW ONENow you can listen to the articles from Fox News!
Three American tourists at Sandals resort in the Bahamas died from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to media reports.
ace Fox News tourists were found dead earlier this month at the all-inclusive resort. Numerous reports claimed that four people visited a clinic on Thursday evening complaining of nausea and vomiting. They were treated and then returned to their villa. Three of the people were found dead on Friday May 6, according to reports.
Health officials said Monday that the three tourists died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, accidental carbon monoxide poisoning sends about 50,000 people in the United States to the emergency room each year. The CDC also said that at least 430 people in the United States die from accidental CO poisoning every year.
Health experts told Fox News that carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that forms from the combustion of fuel. Experts explained that carbon monoxide poisoning could occur if an area is not properly ventilated.
Dr. Fred Davis, DO, MPH, is a certified emergency medicine physician at Northwell Health in Long Island, New York, and spoke to Fox News about carbon monoxide poisoning. Davis told Fox News: “Carbon monoxide replaces oxygen on hemoglobin, the oxygen carrier in our blood, and prevents oxygen from reaching the cells. This leads to headaches, dizziness, nausea. vomiting, confusion and if you stay in the affected area, fainting and death. “
Davis, who is also the associate president of emergency medicine at Northwell Health, said the best way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to have carbon monoxide detectors at home.
Davis told Fox News: “If you are in a place where there is fuel combustion (even some kitchen appliances such as stoves, water heaters and car exhausts) and you start to have such symptoms, the first thing. to do is remove yourself from the zone “. Davis added: “Being able to go to an open area away from such objects can help relieve mild symptoms.”
The emergency room doctor said that the elderly, young children, with underlying respiratory or cardiovascular conditions, and those who are pregnant are the most susceptible to CO poisoning.
According to the CDC, people who sleep or who have drunk alcohol can die from CO poisoning before showing symptoms.
the CDC has provided the following suggestions to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning on their website:
- Never use a gas stove or oven to heat a house.
- Never leave the engine running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage.
- Never run a generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline engine inside a basement, garage, or other closed structure, even if the doors or windows are open, unless the equipment is professionally installed and ventilated. Keep vents and flues free of debris, especially when winds are strong. Flying debris can block ventilation lines.
- Never operate a motor vehicle, generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline engine within 20 feet of an open window, door, or vent where exhaust fumes can vent into an enclosed area .
- Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern, or portable camping stove inside a house, tent, or RV.
- If conditions are too hot or too cold, seek refuge with friends or in a community retreat.
The CDC also recommends that if carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected, seek immediate medical attention.