Jihadists kill seven villagers in northeastern Nigeria – The Citizen



The jihadists attacked a village North East Nigeria, killing seven people and looting supplies shortly after UN chief Antonio Guterres arrived in the troubled region for a visit, local sources said Wednesday.

Fighters from the West African Province of the Islamic State (ISWAP), arriving in motorcycles and trucks armed with machine guns, stormed the village of Kautikeri near the city of Chibok around 16:30 GMT on Tuesday, they said.

They opened fire on residents and then ransacked and set fire to the shops, one said.

“We recovered seven bodies from the attack, which the terrorists launched from the nearby Sambisa forest,” local resident Samson Bulus told AFP.

“One of the victims was shot and burned in his car while trying to escape,” he said.

There was no immediate confirmation of the attack by the Nigerian army, but Ayuba Alamson, leader of the Chibok community, confirmed the toll.

The village had yet to count those who fled the attack, so it wasn’t clear if anyone had been kidnapped, Alamson said.

The city of Chibok was brought into the world spotlight in 2014 following the mass kidnapping of female students from their hostel by Boko Haram.

READ ALSO: Nigeria struggles to tame the banditry that ravages the Northwest

Northeastern Nigeria is grappling with a 13-year jihadist conflict that has killed more than 40,000 people and displaced around two million.

On Tuesday, Guterres concluded a three-nation tour of West Africa with a visit to a camp for displaced people in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, about 150 kilometers (90 miles) from the attack.

Nigerian authorities are planning to close all camps for displaced persons in Borno by 2026, but humanitarian agencies are concerned about the safety and conditions on the ground in some of the communities they will return to.

Guterres affirmed that it is essential to create “the conditions, the conditions of security, the conditions for development so that they can return home in safety and dignity”.

The insurrection was launched in 2009 by Boko Haram, which has since been largely replaced by a dissident branch, ISWAP.

In February, ISWAP attacked Kautikeri, killing three residents and burning a church, one month after killing two residents and kidnapping 20 children in the nearby village of Pyemi.