The official suspect in Madeleine McCann’s mystery may be a child molester, but the case against him has been “torn to pieces,” says an investigator.
The man named by the Portuguese authorities as an official suspect in the case of the missing British girl Madeleine McCann may very well be a “monster”, but he is not guilty of murder, says an investigator who closes the case.
Mark Thomas-Williams made the startling statement ahead of a new documentary about the incident which is set to air shortly in the UK.
At the end of last month, prosecutors in Portugal were appointed German Christian Brueckner is a “wit”, an official suspectin the disappearance of McCann. He has not been charged with a crime.
On 3 May 2007, the three-year-old boy disappeared from the Portuguese holiday resort of Praia da Luz, on the southern coast of the country, on 3 May 2007.
Brueckner, 45, a convicted pedophile, is currently in prison in Germany for raping a 72-year-old.
It is said that he confessed to a friend that he kidnapped Madeleine and that cell phone records placed him in Praia da Luz the night she disappeared.
It is understood that potential witnesses have been told they are awaiting to testify in a German courtroom as could be charged within weeks.
The case against Brueckner is “weak”
However, Mr. Thomas-Williams believed that talking about the resolution of the case was out of place. Brueckner, he said, had a “strong alibi” for the night McCann went missing.
“Tears their claims apart,” he wrote in Daily mail.
Hey also said channel 9 that the investigation was “weak” and that “the case falls apart when you start looking at our evidence.”
Mr Thomas-Williams, whose documentary Madeleine McCann: The Case Against Christian Brueckner airing on Channel 5 in the UK on May 11, it affirmed a desire to close the infamous case my chief prosecutors made of the “scapegoat” Brueckner, who was living in the resort at the time.
“There is no doubt that he is a man with repugnant sexual tendencies.
“(But) what I have discovered is deeply troubling. The much vaunted confession in a bar simply doesn’t hold up. “
He said there was no evidence that the admission had taken place and the man who relayed the information “lacks credibility”.
“Being a pedophile doesn’t make you a child killer.”
Thomas-Williams said there is evidence that a phone call was picked up from a tree near the McCann mansion the night Madeleine was last seen.
But that didn’t mean the call had been placed particularly close to the compound or that the phone was Brueckner’s.
Additionally, Thomas-Williams said Brueckner had an affair with a 17-year-old German tourist and would travel there every night during the week Madeleine went missing, about 44km from Praia da Luz.
He said he tracked the woman down in Germany and she said Brueckner was with her that week.
“I confirm that while she can’t say exactly what they were doing on May 3rd, she is sure her behavior showed no changes or signs of stress that week.
“If the wrong man is convicted of Madeleine’s murder, the real killer remains free,” he warned.
Prosecutors remain confident in a breakthrough
But German prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters, who is conducting the investigation, has apparently contradicted Brueckner’s potential alibi.
Wolters said “nothing” he had heard so far could be a valid alibi for Brueckner.
McCann’s parents Kate and Gerry McCann released a statement on May 3 to mark the 15th anniversary of his passing.
“It doesn’t look any harder than any other, but it doesn’t look easier either. That’s a very long time, “they wrote.
“Regardless of the outcome, Madeleine will always be our daughter and a truly horrible crime has been committed. These things will remain.”