The PA claims after the stories were flagged for allegedly violating community standards
Social media giant Facebook last Saturday restricted state management Philippine news agency from the publication of stories on the social network site for alleged violation of community standards.
On Sunday, PNA updated the audience and said that previously removed posts on Facebook have already been restored.
The agency noted that the posts were reported before midnight on April 23.
“WE’RE BACK. The Philippine News Agency (PNA) apologizes to our readers and followers for the delay in posting our stories on Facebook due to unforeseen circumstances,” its Facebook page read on April 24.
“Since before midnight on 23 April 2022, the stories of the PNA published on Facebook, as well as those of individual users who share the accounts of the PNA articles, have been reported, generating indignation, concern and confusion on the part of netizens” , he added.
The NPC added it A halfFacebook’s parent company has not yet provided the agency with an explanation as to how the posts it removed violated the platform’s guidelines.
“As of this post, previously removed PNA posts are now back on Facebook, but its parent company, Meta, still has no explanation as to how the posts violated their community standards, particularly cybersecurity.” he has declared.
The PNA previously informed the public of his situation via a message at 12:52 pm on Sunday.
He noted that the posts were reported in violation of Facebook’s community standards on cybersecurity.
“Social media giant Meta (Facebook) has reported several PNA posts that violate the standards of its community. One of the recently tagged and removed posts is “Kabankalan City is proud to be home to the oldest living Pinoy,” “a story about the life of 124-year-old Francisca Montes Susano,” said PNA.
“The article was posted on PNA’s official Facebook page and website on September 13, 2021, and was tagged as a post in violation of Facebook’s cybersecurity community standards on April 24, 2022,” he added.
The agency further said that posts shared from the accounts of its journalists and editors have also been removed.
Your Twitter account is not affected by the restriction.
According to Facebook’s Rational on Cybersecurity Policy, attempts to collect or access “sensitive” and unauthorized ”information count as violations.
“Attempts to collect sensitive personal information or to gain unauthorized access by deceptive or invasive methods are detrimental to the authentic, open and secure atmosphere we want to foster. Therefore, we do not allow attempts to collect confidential information about the user or undertake unauthorized access through the abuse of our platform, products or services “, Facebook She said.
Facebook’s Transparency Center also lists the following online activities that would be considered in violation of its cybersecurity policies:
- Gain access to Facebook, Inc. accounts, entity profiles, or user data other than your own through deceptive means or without the explicit permission of the account, profile or entity owner.
- Encourage or trick users into downloading or running files or programs that compromise a user’s online security or data, including through malicious software or websites. Such files and programs will be considered malicious software or “malware” if they damage or gain unauthorized access to a computer, device or network.
- Attempting to obtain, acquire or request another user’s login credentials or other sensitive information, either explicitly or through deceptive means such as phishing (e.g., fake surveys designed to acquire login information or links to fake login pages or fake websites) or the use of malicious software or websites.
- Publicly share your or others’ login information, either on the platform or through a third party service.
- Creating, sharing or hosting malicious software, including browser extensions and mobile applications, on or off the platform that put our users or products and services at risk.
- Provision of online infrastructure, including web hosting services, domain name system servers and advertising networks that allow abusive links in such a way that most such links on Facebook or Instagram violate the spam or cybersecurity sections of the Standards of the community.
the National Press Club accused Facebook partners in its fact-checking initiative, Rappler and Vera Files, of allegedly being involved in the incident.
President of the NPC Paul Gutierrez he described the restriction as a “wholesale censorship” that tramples on the “sovereignty” of the country.
“This is dangerous and very alarming. Increasingly, Facebook, at the urging of its fact-checkers and other state enemies, such as the CTGs, is demonstrating its ability to resort to the neo-fascist method of wholesale censorship – and of an entire country at that – unaware that it is already trampling on the laws and sovereignty of our Republic ”, Gutierrez She said.
Gutierrez called on government agencies to “discipline” Facebook and its fact-checkers.
“The NPC’s request to responsible government agencies to regulate Facebook and its fact-checkers, notably Rappler and Vera Files, has become more urgent and compelling,” he said.
Despite these accusations, Inday Espina-Varona, head of Rappler’s regions, in a tweet he said he disagreed with a “general act against any news bulletin when they can reply by post”.
“Media pa din to. Terrible but still … I protest that it makes things difficult for the whole outfit. Pwede namang likes to target false information in the mail, not a general act, “she said.
The media has passed. Terrible but still … I protest that it makes things difficult for the whole outfit. Pwede namang likes to target sa post of false information per post, not a general action. Probably an unpopular opinion, but the most libertarian on this point. https://t.co/Hg0WXMN5ue
– inday espina varona (@indayevarona) April 24, 2022
the ruling party PDP-Laban he also denounced the removal of PNA posts.
The president of the PDP-Laban Alfonso Cusi, also Secretary of Energy, specified the removal of the seats on the political candidates that President Rodrigo Duterte and the party had approved for the elections in May.
“It is alarming that a foreign media company is blatantly controlling and censoring in violation of our free speech and the right to information and expression not only of our citizens but also of many of our government institutions. This is a direct attack on the rights and sovereignty of the Filipinos, ”Cusi She said.