Uvalde’s parents are expecting their children after the Texas school shooting

Dozens of friends and relatives of missing children after Tuesday’s school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, Gathered at the convention center in the city center.

Inside, officials took DNA samples and promised to confirm whether their children were among the 19 killed when a gunman opened fire at an elementary school. Two adults were also killed.

At around 9:30 pm, officials returned many of them.

Zeke Luevanos, 43, an electric lineman, drove from Odessa to join his brother and sister, each of whom had a 9-year-old child who is still missing. He had just seen his niece and nephew last weekend, at a family memorial in Uvalde for his father, who died last week.

“They aren’t doing too well,” he said of his brothers, who had already provided DNA samples. “This is a beautiful city, a really beautiful city. It’s just a waiting game. ”

He stopped under a canopy of oaks among other relatives waiting for news.

Officials say Salvador Ramos, 18, with a pistol and possibly a rifle, entered Robb Elementary School in the working-class town of about 16,000 about 80 miles west of San Antonio. Police officers are believed to have killed the gunman, who had been a student at a nearby high school, Abbott said.

Lisa Cazares, 25, came to the convention center after unsuccessfully calling area hospitals looking for a friend’s 11-year-old daughter.

“I checked all the hospitals. I hope for the best, but this is scary. Your head doesn’t want to go there, ”she said as she stood in the dark parking lot waiting for news.

Cazares said her friend sent a text to say the girl’s class was the one the gunman attacked. “She’s terrified,” Cazares said of her friend, whose husband is a car salesman and DJ.

Cazares took her 4-year-old daughter and husband to the convention center.

“There have been too many school shootings. All teachers should be able to carry, at least in a locked drawer, ”she said. Her husband said schools need more police.

Convention center officials told those with children still missing late Tuesday that DNA identification would take two to three days and that the bodies would not be released for eight days, Lorinda Rios, 32, said on bail. local who had come to support friends with a missing child.

He said the wait for confirmation was “unnerving, but some people have hope.”

Families knew that two unidentified children injured in the shooting were being treated at University Medical Center San Antonio, he said. “This is what they hope: that they are one of the two not identified at the University and not in the [morgue] trailer over there.

As people got up from the convention center, a woman screamed. Other family members cried, including children.

“This is a tragedy to happen in such a small town,” Rios said as he walked to his car with two friends.

“This shouldn’t have happened here,” said one of the friends. “It shouldn’t happen anywhere,” said the other.

You may also like...