Woman’s hot water bottle injuries spark experts’ warning

A young woman has recalled the horror injuries she sustained from a common household item that caused severe burns.

A young woman has recalled the horror injuries she sustained from a hot water bottle accident that caused severe burns.

Rhiannon Coleman-Heard, 26, suffered the injuries when the boiling water from the bottle spilt all over one of her arms as she was filling it up.

What resulted was burns so severe she’s had to visit a doctor every week since.

“When I came into the emergency department, [my arm] was just completely blistered,” she told 7 News.

“Then they had to deroof it, so taking off all the skin.”

Ms Coleman-Heard said she now wants to inform others about the dangers before they reach for the hot water bottle this winter.

“I also didn’t think boiling water or water from a hot water bottle could cause such damage,” she said.

Product Safety Australia has also warned Aussies how to avoid injuries from hot water bottles.

At the top of their list is to check the use-by-date as expired hot water bottles can split and leak more easily.

Overfilling is seen as another hazard as is sleeping with a hot water bottle as it could be rolled onto and burst.

Originally published as Woman’s horror injuries from hot water bottle spark experts’ warning

You may also like...